What is digilib?
- digilib is a web based client/server technology for images. The image content is processed on-the-fly by a Java Servlet on the server side so that only the visible portion of the image is sent to the web browser on the client side.
- digilib enables very detailed work on an image as required by scholars with elaborate viewing features like an option to show images on the screen in their original size.
- digilib facilitates cooperation of scholars over the internet and novel uses of source material by image annotations and stable references that can be embedded in URLs.
- digilib facilitates federation of image servers through a standards compliant IIIF image API.
- digilib is Open Source Software under the Lesser General Public License, jointly developed by the Max Planck Institute for the History of Science, the Bibliotheca Hertziana, the University of Bern and others.